Bread pudding is one of the simplest recipes that can be prepared using leftover in the kitchen. I love baking this on a lazy sunday morning and enjoy it hot or cold.
My MIL loves this pudding and the best part is it does not take a long time to make. This time around I gave it a little twist with some carmelized sauce and it turned out pretty neat.
Here goes the list of ingredients:
- 2 cups of shredded stale bread
- 2 cups of hot milk
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 1 tbsp Ghee or clarified butter
- 1/4 tsp of Salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 tsp of Cinnamon powder
- 1/4 tsp of Nutmeg powder
- 1/4 tsp of Clove powder
- 4 tbsp of sugar (for the carmel sauce)
- A few drops of water (for the caramel sauce)
- 2 drops of lemon juice (for caramel sauce)
- Preheat the oven to a 175 deg c. Lightly grease a cake tin with butter or oil.
- Ensure that you stuff 2 cups with shredded bread pieces. Now empty this into the container that has the hot milk. combine gently.
- Add the sugar, Ghee, salt, eggs, vanilla and the three different powders. Mix gently.
- Set this mixture aside.
- Now take a wok and put it on simmer.
- Add the Sugar and keep stirring till the sugar starts melting and them add a few drops of water.
- Continue to stir till the mixture turns light brown. Add the lemon juice. This is done primarly to avoid the sugar from crystallization.
- As you continue to stir you see the mixture turn golden brown. Switch off the gas and immediately pour this mixture into the cake tin.
- Now pour the bread mixture on top of this and pop it into the oven.
- You will need to keep the cake tin in a water bath to avoid the pudding from getting burnt.
- You can do this by filling a tray with water and keeping the cake tin in the tray.
- Bake this mixture for about an hour. Allow it to rest in the oven after baking it and then let it cool completely before serving.
- You may keep it in the fridge and serve it the next day instead. Enjoy!!