I will be posting cooking tips to all my previous recipes which had eggs as to how they can be prepared without eggs. As you know this blog consists of recipes that are tried and tested. A dear friend A has taken the pains to convert many of my recipes into egg less versions and she claims that they taste as good as the ones with egg.
The first in this list is the now famous Moist orange cake that can be now prepared without egg. You will find the updated post here!
- 20 Dates (I used Lion Dates)
- 1 Cup Wholewheat Atta (I used Ashirwad)
- 1/2 Sugar
- 3/4 Cup Milk
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- A pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 tbsp of vinegar
- 1 fistful almonds (powdered roughly)
- Pre-heat the oven to 160 deg.
- The dates should be soft enough to be ground into a fine paste. If not you may need to soak it overnight. I used the "Lion" brand of dates that are extremely soft and de-seeding them took 5 minutes hardly.
- Grind the dates, milk and sugar into a fine paste. Add the oil, vinegar and set aside.
- Sift the Wheat flour along with the Baking Soda and salt. Twice is very good if possible.
- Now just add this into the date paste and mix with a spatula carefully little by little.
- Add the almonds and mix into the batter carefully.
- Once well mixed pour it into an oiled baking tin and bake for about 25-30 minutes. The time may vary depending upon your oven.
- Check if your cake is done by inserting a toothpick in the center of the cake.
- Enjoy your egg less cake with your favorite ice cream.
P.S: I found that this cake is a little fudgy and dense may be because of non-existence of egg, may be due to the dates. Nevertheless it was yummy!!Eggitarians try baking it with an egg and omit the vinegar, use 1/2 tsp of Baking Soda.